my time between birth of children...a lot of years

my time between August and May...teaching kingergarten!

my time between school days...sweet summer time!

my time between the news and midnight...cherished me time!

my time time between family and work...creating, sewing, painting, decorating

Friday, July 26, 2013

Waltz Across Texas With You

What is your idea of a vacation?  Mine is relaxing to the sound of waves pounding the sandy beach with the sun beaming down on my face and a cool breeze blowing in my hair. It has been a while since I have had the opportunity for such an experience.  So when my Mom calls me and asks if I want to take a trip with her, I got sooooo excited.  But wait, it was NOT to that beachy retreat?  It was an invitation to travel to the Panhandle of Texas. More specifically, Tulia, Texas.  A place you might think is in the middle of nowhere.  A place where my Mother was born and raised.  I have been there many times as a little girl and it is by far the next best thing to my ideal vacation.  However, as I have told my children several times,  there will be occasions that arise that you may not want to take part in, but when it comes to family, there are "just some things you have to do".  Yes.... as bad as it sounds, I reluctantly agreed.

Tulia, Texas , population of around 5,000.  I know what you are thinking, and you are so right, there is NOT much in this small town but one grocery store, a Dollar General, and a Family Dollar store.  Can you imagine how I felt when I discovered a SONIC?  If you need to do ANY sort of shopping, you must travel north to Amarillo or south to Lubbock with a few smaller towns in between such as Plainview (which by the way was the closest Wal-Mart).

My daughter, my Mom and I loaded up the car and we took off.  Even though I had this ailing sense of dread, we actually had a great road trip with our first stop in Canton, Texas.  Now if you have never heard of Canton, Texas you must be educated!  They are known for their First Monday Trade Days !!!  Unfortunately, we were traveling through when it was not the trade days weekend, but Canton has some awesome local shops that anyone, like me, that loves JUNKTIQUES  would LOVE. If you ever are able to visit you must stop in at Pottery Plus.  They specialize in Mexican imports of  ironworks, yard décor, outdoor/indoor furniture and so much more. 


I had to have some of these beautiful hand painted flowers!
I wanted to bring back this fantastic copper sink! 



 


At another shop we found some very, ummmm
"unique" items!
A little different I must say.  But fun!

 
Back on I-20 West, my Mom and I had some great mother/daughter time, talking, singing, laughing and crying together all the way to the Panhandle!  It has been a LONG time since we have has such good quality time together! And of course, Emma Claire had her little portable DVD player, so she was content!
 
The Arrival in the Panhandle of Texas!
 
Now don't get too excited over my scenery for the next few days!
 
 

 

 
 
 
 


My beautiful view at night!
 

 We stayed at my Mom's sister, Aunt Virginia's home.  My Aunt is 91 years old and still going strong.  She is one awesome "lady" and I use that term in a southern way! Aunt Virginia is a widow but up until about 3 or 4 years ago she still ran the business all by herself. 
~Here is a newspaper article about her issued nine years ago~

 
Around the pasture of my Aunt Virginia's place, I was in JUNK heaven!
 
 
I have many memories visiting Tulia, Texas with my Mom and Grandmother when I was a little girl.  But there is something about being an adult that makes you absorb the family history and the glory of where my ancestors lived.  Here are a few more pics! 
 
Old Train Depot

 
 
I had to ask what this sign was all about!  The brick streets in town all have "dips" at the intersections.  Mom told me they use to cruise "SNUFF" street.....meaning, "you go down two blocks and take a dip". And, YES, we had to take one last dip as we were leaving town to come home!
 
 
My mother's old home place.  The house is gone.


Windmills across the state that generate energy!
 
 
Family History
My Great Great Grandfather, George Edward Love, better known as Grandpa Love, his wife, Susan Parthennie Walker along with 3 sons and 1 daughter,  settled in Swisher County arriving by covered wagon in 1891. Two more sons were born after the move.   Wanting his children educated, he donated land/school, aka LOVE SCHOOL for them to attend!  All of the family lived in Love Community located in the country, outside of Tulia. 
That one daughter, Annie Laura married Joe Ray Camp. I believe they had ten children.   The oldest of their children was my Granddaddy, George Ray Camp.  The next sibling was my beautiful Great Aunt Winnie.  (Long gray hair always worn in a bun. and the most beautiful skin.  Her secret as she told me when I was a little girl?  Vaseline on your face everynight before bed)
Grandma love was a dear friend with President of the Confederate States,  Jefferson Davis' 2nd wife, Winnie Davis, thus Aunt Winnie's name sake.
 
Celebration
The reason for our trip was multi-purposed....Tulia, Texas was celebrating their 120+ birthday, a visit with my Aunt, Mom's class reunion, and a family reunion. 
 
This small town sure knows how to put on a celebration.  From a dance on the square, a parade, a town barbeque in the park, a rodeo, many class reunions ranging form 1935, 53, 63,  78, 83, 88, 93, 99, 03 (and that is just the few I saw in the parade), to multiple family reunions.
 



 
Palo Dura Canyon
 
We visited the Palo Dura Canyon and it was breath taking.  All of the colors were extraordinarily beautiful! I was, probably, Emma Claire's age the last time I was there.
 
 
 

 
I have always heard that everything is BIGGER in Texas. I do believe that theory to be true!   Tulia, Texas may be a small Texas town, but they have the BIGGEST hearts, the BIGGEST parades and the BIGGEST celebrations.  Where else could I go and run into a cousin every five steps, see true cowboys, in their starched Wranglers, that still tip their cowboy hats and say "howdy", see tumbleweeds, mesquite trees and jackrabbits running wild and  where everyone is still called by their first and middle names?
 (Gloria Beth, Leta Mae, Barabara Ann, Bob Wayne)
I was right at home with my BIG HAIR too!!!
 
  Anyone that knows me, knows I am grew up as a Louisiana girl.  But what most people do NOT know is I was born in Llano, Texas. My neighbor told me, and my Momma agrees, "you can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take the Texas out of the girl".
 
 No, I didn't get that beach vacation this year but I wouldn't change my Texas Waltz for anything. We shared a three generation experience that most people will never be able to share. My hope for my daughter is that she becomes as strong of a woman and as true of a "southern lady" as these two!
 
Aunt Virginia, Emma Claire, my mother, Gloria
 
 
 
So click on the link to get a true feel of our Waltz!
AND Have a Blessed Day!
 
 
I
   
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment